Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day Three - My First Love

Gah, it is going to be painful to write about this. But it all goes along with the getting to know me, so here goes...

The first time I was in real love was when I was 16. I had gone through the ups and downs of relationships before that, but this was the first one that felt real. I was pretty consumed with school and hanging out with my friends at the time, so living single and focusing on things besides boys was pretty nice. Then came the day that one of my friends introduced me to a group of guys she had met at a teen dance club. I can't remember too much about the beginning of our relationship anymore, but I know that it wasn't love at first sight. We lived completely different lives (I'll leave it at that). He was just about 2 years older than me and lived 40 miles away. He had a driver's license, but I didn't. (If you recall from this post, I didn't get my license until I was 20). We talked on the phone, a lot, and sometime in the winter of 2002, he was finally my boyfriend.

The next 2 years are kind of a blur. There were a lot of phone cards used, a lot of miles put on cars and a lot of weekends spent across state lines. There were days spent on the lake and nights court side at basketball games. I found my love for Buffalo Wild Wings while dating him as well. I can recall getting bored of a long-distance relationship and ended the relationship a couple of times. Along with first loves ultimately comes first heartbreak. Like I said before, I had been in relationships before, but they all seemed so juvenile compared to this one. So when my 18th birthday rolled around, I had been contemplating a HUGE move. My sister lived in California, and she had a friend that I had a major crush on. But that is not what ended the relationship.

He had been seeing another girl behind my back, and when my friend Amy and I arrived at his apartment to celebrate my birthday, she was there. I was devastated. Of course, he told me that nothing was going on, yada yada yada. There were words exchanged, tears shed, and I ultimately asked him to choose. Needless to say - he chose her and the relationship finally ended. That was in March, and by the end of May, I had graduated high school and was on a plane headed for Northern California. The brief year I spent there was filled with love and a (one time) great relationship that also ultimately ended in heartbreak (a much bigger heartbreak). But looking back now - it has been 5 years, and I don't regret one second of it. I am the person I am today because thanks to all the things I have gone through.

I am glad this post is over. It has been a long time since I was forced to think of those two relationships. See you tomorrow for something a little more positive!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment