Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hannah Elise

I know I don't have too many readers, but I want to document Hannah's birth for those that are curious, and for myself as well.

Thursday, July 15th, I was checked into the triage unit at the hospital. We were told to arrive at 7:30. We pulled into the parking garage at 7:20 and the nerves finally hit me. After checking in, I was instructed to put on a gown and go to the bathroom to provide a urine sample. That took all of 10 minutes. Next, the nurse came in and hooked me up to the monitors. I was having small, painless contractions. She said it was normal since I hadn't had anything to drink since 9:30 the night before. She asked me what seemed like a million questions about my health history and then left the room. The surgery was supposed to start at 9:30. Around 8:30, the nurse came back and attempted to put my IV in. She tried twice in my left arm, and both times she lost the vein and wound up fishing for it for 5 minutes each time. She didn't want to keep poking me for nothing, so she left to find reinforcements. She brought back another nurse who immediately got a vein in my hand. That was pretty painful.

By 9:30, we were still waiting for my doctor. She showed up around 9:45 and we were off to the operating room. They had me sit up on the operating table to put my spinal in. That was pretty painful as well. It seemed to be that 3 was my unlucky number that day, because that is how many times they tried to put the spinal in before it was successful. It is still so crazy to me how weird it feels when you go numb from your waist down. After the doctor started poking me and asked if I could feel it, the catheter went in and the doctor started the surgery. At one point in the very beginning of the surgery, I got really nauseous. I told the anesthesiologist and she put a little tub next to my face just in time to catch the vomit I couldn't control. I think I puked twice and felt better almost instantly. The anesthesiologist said I got sick because my blood pressure dropped pretty significantly. I am pretty sure the doctor was already cutting when Josh was finally let in the OR. After tons and pulling and pushing from the doctors, Hannah was finally born at 10:23 am. The anesthesiologist's partner predicted what he thought she weighed. "8 pounds 13 ounces!" I didn't believe him for a second.

They took her to the heated baby table and started cleaning her up. I thought she was beautiful. I instantly had visions of newborn Cameron and thought she looked so much like him. They got her all cleaned up and shouted her weight out for the rest of the room. 9 pounds 4.8 ounces. I couldn't believe it. I thought little girls were supposed to weigh less than little boys! She weighed a full pound and 3 ounces more than her brother. Later, in recovery, I learned she was 21 inches long and had a head circumference of 16 inches. She is a big girl.

Recovery in the hospital went great. Cameron and Hannah's first meeting was so special. He just stared at her. The first time we tried to let him hold her, he pushed her away, so we haven't tried again. She lost about half a pound in the hospital, which is a normal amount according to nurses and the pediatrician. She looked great, and her bilirubin levels were low, so no jaundice for our little girl! We were discharged Sunday morning and were so excited to finally go home. Cameron came home from his grandma and grandpa's that afternoon, and we have greatly enjoyed being home as a family.

My mom left to go home this morning. I am terrible at goodbyes, so of course, it was very hard for me to see her leave. Hopefully we won't go a year in between visits again. Christmas in Michigan is beautiful mom! Come back!

This morning, Josh and I took both of the kids to the pediatrician. Hannah had to have her newborn physical, and the doctor said she looks great. Still no jaundice, and she is in the 90th percentile for her weight. Such a big girl. Cameron has a little bit of a fever, so we took him just to be sure. She said his ears look great, which is good news. There seems to be a little bit of a bug going around, and he must have caught it. His throat was red, and she said he should be feeling better in a couple of days. Poor guy. He looks so miserable.

I will leave you with a few pictures of our girl and our boy. Our kids. That is so crazy to say.


here I am in triage, just before the IV was put in. ready to meet baby!

one of the first pictures of Hannah. Testing out her lungs.

big brother and little sister meet for the first time.

why is it crying?

finally leaving the hospital.

big brother watching his sissy take a nap. he's becoming very protective over her.

0 months old.

pretty girl with her eyes wide open.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment