Friday, May 7, 2010

Show Us Your Life : Baby Names

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

When I was a little, little girl, I had all these ideas of names I would use for my future children. They were mainly names that I wish I had as my own, seeing that I thought my name was terrible. I loved Taylor, Jennifer, and Summer for a girl. When it came to boy names, I loved Jacob and Hunter.

Fast forward to May 2008. We had our big ultrasound and found out we were having a boy. It was pretty clear from the very beginning that Josh and I had completely different tastes in baby names. I doubt he would have ever gone with the name Hunter, and we mutually decided that Jacob was probably a little too popular for us. We were throwing name ideas with his mom one day, and she picked the winner.

Cameron Richard

The name Cameron really has no personal meaning to us, it is just a name we liked. I knew, even before I was pregnant, that if we ever had a first born son, his middle name would be Richard. No ifs, ands or butts about it. Josh, his dad, his grandpa and his great-grandpa all share the same middle name, and it was natural that Cameron would share it with them. It also happened to work out that one of my grandpas is named Richard, so there was another person honored with the name.

Not many people know about the boy/girl ratio in Josh's family. He has 7 cousins on his dad's side of the family. Of the 7, only 2 are girls. Countless people in his family have told me that they hoped I liked having a son, because I was sure to be blessed with another. Now don't get me wrong, while I love having a son and wouldn't mind having another, there was something deep down inside of me that longed for a daughter. It doesn't help walking around stores and seeing the gorgeous little girl outfits.

The day was March 3rd, 2010. We went into our big ultrasound not knowing what to expect. Besides the obvious nerves that go along with wondering/hoping everything is okay with baby came the fear that I wouldn't know how to react if I were faced with the technician saying "it's a boy!" The tech must have sensed something, because she went right for it. The 'money shot.' "Well, it seems we have a little girl here!" She said. I couldn't believe it. Due in mid July will be...

Hannah Elise

Again, Hannah is not really a name that has any personal meaning to us. One we could both agree on. Elise is a name I have loved forever. My name is Alyssa, but not pronounced the way you would assume. Uh-lisa is how my parents and the rest of my family pronounce it, but I prefer the regular old Uh-lyss-uh. I love that my daughter will have a name that is similar to mine, without being the same.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment